Saturday, January 5, 2008

Amazing Grace

I recently saw the movie Amazing grace, not once but twice in consecutive days. 
Well, the first time I felt the movie, the second time I was able to watch it.

I loved every aspect of it, it was witty, deep, funny, sad, joyous and I would not think of saying that of a movie that concerns the slave trade and all its horrors but the grace with which this movie was done awoke all those feelings in me.

Underneath the struggle of William Wilberforce and his group to abolish the slave trade was the song Amazing Grace written by none other then a former slave ship captain himself, John Newton.
The lyrics of the song are profound and the melody just brings out the tears in me.

Once I figure out how to paste them here I'll do that, for now just go to the link:

Also worth mentioning too and along the same lines (mistreatment of human beings by fellow humans being ) is Bury my heart at Wounded Knee also heart wrenching in its portrayal of the  mistreatment of American Indians.

No comments: