Wednesday, February 13, 2008

V Day and other digressions

Valentine Day is approaching and although I do not reserve matters of the heart for this day alone, I find myself pondering the meaning of it all.
Apart from the commercial aspect of it, which I abhor, I do appreciate the exchange of friendly and romantic expressions (leave out the corny cards or flowers, but bring on the chocolate, baby ...)

I have recently expressed my appreciation to my friends for whom I have a special kind of love -a reassuring, solid, quiet understanding, borrowing from Tahir Shah's "In Arabian Nights":
Real friends can sometimes dispense with talking. They can take confort in the awkwardness of silence.

The appreciation for family is unique to that individual and very complex to express in a few words.
Parents - Love grew from being that of total dependence from birth through childhood to defiance as I was striving to grow out of the nest to admiration for the enourmous task they undertook in raising this being.
Sister - The Love is a Friendship built on blood, a blend of parent/child interactions.
Husband - A Love that has seen its roller coaster moments and now softly rides the smooth waters, there is no effort for or against it, just the being in the moment and the understanding that the good times are to be cherished, and the bad ... well, those are temporary, as you assert so many times.
Little Ones - I think the word Love is not enough to express the feeling ... there is a mixture of Joy, Awe, Ecstasy and if I had to ever describe the feeling of Divine I would say its presence was felt by me for the first time in my life when you were born.

No comments: